Statistics : -
- Head Quarters : Oros
- Area : 5,207 km2 (2,010 sq mi)
- Climate : Maximum - 40.4 C Minimum - 16.1 C.
- Average Annual Precipitation : 328.7 cm
- Population : 8,68,825 (CENSUS - 2001)
- Population density : 166.86 /km2 (800/sq mi)
- Urban population : 9.47%
- Literacy : 80.3% (Men : 86.1%, Women : 67.7%)
- Sex ration : 1079
Dodamarg , Sawantwadi , Vengurla , Kudal , Malvan , Kankavli , Devgad , Vaibhavwadi
Lok Sabha Constituencies
Rajapur (shared with Ratnagiri district)
Vidhan Sabha Constituencies
Sawantwadi , Vengurla , Malvan ,Devgad
Sindhudurg is the Southern most district among the 4 districts collective referred to as KOKAN region, (the coastal plain in western part of the state of Maharashtra, between the Sahyadri mountain range and the Arabian Sea). It was carved out of Ratnagiri District.
It gets its name from the Fort of Sindhudurg (Sindhu = sea, Durg = fort) which was built by the Maratha warrior King Shivaji in 1664.